Upasachi Batatyachi Bhaji / Potato Peanuts Side

This bhaji is called upasachi or fasting but it is not necessarily made for fasting. In fact I do not remember fasting a lot while growing up. This simple potato and peanut side is one of my favorite and I make it often. The roasted peanut powder adds a lovely flavor that makes this dish special.


This is another of my mother's recipes and it is a very simple one. She used to give it to me as part of my packed lunch. Back then we used to share a part of our lunch with our friends. And the tastier your lunch was the better the bargaining power. My mother's chapati's were always sought after. And this was one bhaji that my friends loved. When I had this in my lunchbox I could exchange it for anything from anybody in my class.


I cooked the potato in a microwave. If you do not want to use the microwave you could cook it in a pressure cooker with the peel and a little bit of water. Once cooked peel while it is still warm and dice.

You will need
1 large russet potato
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 green chili pepper (I used Serrano)
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt to taste

Wash and scrub the potato to remove all the dirt from the surface. Prick all over with the tines of a fork. Place it in the microwave with a cup 3/4 full of water and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the potato upside down and cook again for 2 minutes. Repeat one more time. Cover in aluminium foil with the peel intact and leave it on the kitchen counter for at least 15 minutes or until needed.

In a grinder grind the roasted peanuts to a coarse powder. Keep aside. Take the potato out of the aluminium foil. Peel and dice it. Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they sizzle break up the chili pepper into pieces and add them to the oil. Next add the diced potato. Cook covered for a minute.


Add the peanut powder, sugar and salt to taste. Mix everything together, cover and cook for a couple minutes.


You cannot miss the aroma of the roasting peanuts. When they change color turn off the heat.


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Can smell the flavor of this dish, hard to resist to this bhaji.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes with peanuts sounds very interesting and it is so simple to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A all time favorite bhaji of my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow nice combo of potatoes with peanuts , love the crunchy texture given with the nuts :) delicious bhaji dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good Varada, and your talks about packed lunches and friends..reminds me of my own..such fun days right!..Our lunches were always exchanged..:)..enjoyed all your dishes under this theme ..bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Varada, I landed on your blog a few days ago searching for something and I was delighted that I found it. You have an amazing collection of recipes and I like your straightforward style of writing. Although I am not a Maharashtrian by birth, I grew up in Pune and lived there for almost 25 years. So I consider myself an almost Maharashtrian :) your recipes and terms take me down memory lane in a very nostalgic way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine your nostalgia for Marathi terms and recipe. I am a Maharashtrian who grew up in Goa and I feel the same way about Goa. I am so glad you liked the blog.

      Delete
  7. Simple and yummy dish. Love the way how you chopped the potatoes evenly

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one very tempting and delicious potato and peanut curry. I'm going to try this real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple and yet the peanut flavor makes it very special I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG potatoes and peanut - two of my favorites...This looks downright delicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds like a very balanced flavored this that would make a great snack at any time

    ReplyDelete
  12. Potato and peanut ...lovely combo. Enjoyed the peanut series on your blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.