Mifirfan (Chinese Sticky Rice Dessert)

Mifirfan is a dessert from the Xinjiang province of China. It is a mildly sweet dessert that reminded me of narali bhaat. It is made of rice that is sweetened with apricots and raisins.


Mifirfan is a simple and quick dessert. It is made with Chinese sticky white rice. I got a handful of this rice from the bulk section at Whole Foods. The process is very simple, cook the rice with apricots, raisins and a little sugar.

You will need
a handful white sticky rice
10-12 dried apricots
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp. sugar
1 cup water

Wash the rice and soak it for half an hour. Chop the apricots and keep aside. These are the apricots I used.


Drain the water from the soaking rice and add the rice to a pan. Add a cup of fresh water to the pan and bring it to a boil. Add the apricots, raisins and sugar.


Let the rice cook in the boiling water.


When the water level drops below the rice, lower heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes.


Mifirfan is ready. It is best eaten the day it is cooked. As it is made with rice day old mifirfan tastes a lot like stale rice.


Comments

  1. The apricot raisin combo is mind blowing. .and I like the way you have presented this in the form of a cake..looks awesome and must have been delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so similar ro middle eastern sweets with apricots and raisins and sticky rice makes so Chinese. Nice dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is yet another delicious dessert....looking at the squares I was thinking it was differently cooked..nice way of presenting..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one delicious Chinese dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully presented Varada. I have not heard of this dessert. Sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like a tight rice pudding and since I am a rice pudding fanatic I am sure I would love this

    ReplyDelete
  7. not sure how my family would take a rice based dessert but i would like to tuck in for sure

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.