Churmure Chivda

I few days ago my sister was visiting and I decided to make bhel. For some reason I believed the small bag of churmure would not suffice so decided to get the big one. The big one was really big but I went ahead and got it. Well, needless to say it was too big and I had a lot of churmure left over. When my sister was ready to leave I put half of what was left into a large ziploc bag for her. Even with that gone there was so much left. I have started making every snack I know using churmure.


This chiva is one of the simplest you will ever make. It takes no more than 15 minutes but is so tasty it will gone before you know it. My father was staying with us for a few days and he loves chivda. That was reason enough to make a big batch.


Unfortunately, I have enough churmure to make another 5 such batches of chivda. You will see a lot more posts from me with churmure in the near future. This recipe is very similar to what my mother made. I got it from a Marathi cookbook my father bought for me.

You will need
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup peanuts (I used Planters roasted unsalted peanuts)
a handful cashews
5-6 curry leaves
a handful raisins
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. turmeric powder
3 cups churmure
salt to taste

It is best to collect all the ingredients before you start as this recipe moves very quickly.

Heat oil in a pan and add the peanuts. Roast them on low to medium heat until they are beginning to change color.


Add the curry leaves and cashews. Careful, fresh the curry leaves tend to splatter oil. When cashews look done add the raisins, paprika and turmeric powder. Add salt to taste talking into account the churmure you are going to add. Combine everything that is in the pan.


Add the churmure and mix well.


Turn off heat. The chivda is ready!


The chivda makes a great afternoon snack.


To store, let the chivda cool completely then store in an airtight container. Should last a couple of weeks.

Comments