Cheesy Potato Sourdough Gozleme

Gozleme or the pastry with brown eyes is a delicious Turkish dish. It can be stuffed with a sweet or savory filling. Today I made it with cheesy potato. This recipe is very similar to paratha. The difference being the paratha is rolled out after it is stuffed. Gozleme is rolled out first and then wrapped around the filling.


The thought of using potato and cheddar cheese was really last minute. I was going to make a spinach filling with feta cheese. It would have been authentic for sure. But at the last minute I felt like eating something cheesy so switched to a pirogi type filling instead.


Once I realized what gozleme was I pretty much made up the dough and filling recipes. I knew what consistency and texture of dough I was looking for and pretty much added a little of this and that until I had what I knew would work. That comes with making flat breads almost everyday and stuffed ones on a regular basis. The leavened dough added a little spring to the gozleme. Everyone in the family loved this recipe so this is one more variation of stuffed bread that I can add to my rotation.

Note: the dough does not have to be leavened. If you want to skip the sourdough replace it with another cup of flour.

You will need
For the dough
1 cup sourdough starter (hydration % is not important)
2 cups whole wheat flour (I used chapati flour, a low protein soft flour)
water as needed
1 tbsp. oil

For the filling
1 large potato, boiled
3 tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese (you could substitute any cheese you have on hand)
1/2 tsp. paprika
salt and pepper to taste

1 tbsp. butter (optional)

Work in the wheat flour into the starter. Use water if needed to make a soft dough. Using oil on your fingertips knead again and keep aside for about two hours.


Mash the hot boiled potato and add the cheese. Cover and keep aside for 5-10 minutes. Let the cheese melt a little. Add the other ingredients and form a ball. Divide into 6 portions.


Divide the resting dough into 6 portions. Heat a flat griddle pan. Roll one portion of dough to at least an eighth of an inch. Place one portion of filling in the center and spread it into a rectangle.


Fold the opposite sides over the filling.


Repeat for the remaining two sides until you have a neat rectangle. Place it on the hot pan and let it cook until it has brown spots on the side.


Turn it over and cook the other side. Apply a thin layer of butter to both sides and take off heat.


Repeat with the remaining portions of dough.


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I love your folding technique, it makes such neat shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I clearly need more flatbread practice. I love all the varieties. I need to play more in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how prefect yours look. I'll be checking out your paratha recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look sensational, great job! And the filling, cheese and potato... I am so there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! That filling sounds so good, I think I'll have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pirogi inspiration - sounds delicious!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowo, you shaped your gozlemes so beautifully!
    I love the way they browned too.
    Very nice.
    Have a nice week
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! Your gozleme look delicious! I loved how simple these were to make, very easy to throw together for lunch at the last minute. Thanks for joining us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.