Mango Sherbet

With the lunar month of Chitra the green mangoes arrive. As soon as they do we make ambe dal and pickle. As the temperature rises one reaches out for panha. Before you know it, it is the season for ripe yellow mangoes and the mango mania continues. This year with winter lingering well into April the warm spring temperatures were very welcome. With the warm temperature came flowers, birds and of course mangoes. This week I am going to post three different mango dishes that are sure to please. The first is Mango Sherbet.


Why is this a sherbet and not a sorbet you ask? Here is the distinction. In the US, a sorbet is a fruit puree with sugar and water. A sherbet is also a fruit puree with sugar and maybe water but in addition to that it may contains diary or eggs. In a sherbet the fat from dairy is less than 2%. When the fat content goes up it is called ice cream. The book I referred to called this an ice cream. I used non fat milk/condensed milk so I changed the name to sherbet.


Mango Sherbet is a treat on any day. But when it is made with fresh mango it makes it even better. I found this recipe by accident. A couple of months ago I was looking through my old cookbooks and printed recipes when I found a book of ice cream recipes. The book is by ice cream company Dollops and as per my neatly written note on the inside cover I bought it in February of 1993 in Bangalore. This is the first recipe I have tried from it. I am sure there will be many more.

You will need
1 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (I used non fat condensed milk)
1 3/4 cup fresh mango pulp (or you could used canned)
1 3/4 cup cold milk
4 tbsp. sugar (skip if using canned pulp)

Except for the cream whisk all the ingredients until well mixed. Add the cream and whisk it just enough to mix it in. Transfer to an airtight container.


Cover the container and freeze for a few hours. Scoop out and serve.


Enjoy!

Note: If the Sherbet is too hard to scoop leave it in the refrigerator for 3-5 minutes before scooping. Return it to the freezer once you are done.

This is my entry for week two, day two of BM #40 for the theme Mango Mania. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#40.

Comments

  1. Oh..I thought it would be water based.but this one looks perfectly made and the mint garnish is highlighting it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed the name. It should have read Sherbet and not Sorbet.

      Delete
  2. Varada, that's so cool. Actually as per the spelling, I guess yours could say sorbet too if you look up wiki..I ended up reading on sherbet/ Sharbet and sorbet..very nice..never realized this could refer to two different dishes in different countries..:)...this is just my lane now..thanks for the insight Varada...I surely learned a new terminology..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought its a icecream, i thought mango sherbet is a drink, fantastic sherbet..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mango sherbet is what we need right now with the soaring temps.. so refreshing and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy sherbet.. It looks perfect & tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know the difference in the terms! This looks very simple and I am going to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome creation with mango. Love it by whatever name you call it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same pinch Varada even I have the book and the ice creams are awesome. I
    As for sorbet or sherbet whats in the name?

    ReplyDelete
  9. One refreshing dessert for hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.