Polish Apricot Stuffed Pampuchy (Dumpling) with custard

For the second week of the 2014 52 week challenge the theme was Polish. As most of the savory preparations use meat I decided to stick to desserts. I made apricot jam filled Pampuchy and served it with Vanilla English custard.


I used one packet of dry rapid rise yeast. Not sure if it was more than needed for the amount of flour I had but it worked very well with the recipe. Leaving the dough to rise at every step took a long time but the steps are fairly simple. And the end result is divine.

I had read someplace that the trick to a good dumpling is the dough. Spend the time and the elbow grease to knead the dough well.

You will need
For the dough
1 and 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup warm milk
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 packet Fleischmann's Rapid rise active yeast
2 egg yolks

For the filling
apricot jam

To pour over the top
Vanilla custard (I used Brown and Polson custard powder to make the custard)

In a mixing bowl mix all the ingredients. If the dough is too dry add up to 1/3 cup of water. Form a ball and leave aside for 15 minutes.


The dough will be softer and not as sticky after 15 minutes. Knead the ball of dough well for at least 5 minutes. It should be smooth and very soft to the touch. If you work on this step you will end up with smooth textured dumplings. Cover with plastic wrap and keep aside for about 25 minutes or until it doubles in size.



Punch down the dough and divide into 16 equals parts. Now you have to stuff each dumpling with the apricot jam. I did what I usually do to make stuffed parathas. Take one of the 16 balls of dough and flatten it on your palm.


Add a dollop of apricot jam in the center. (I took a picture of this step too but my arm shook while clicking it so it is unusable.)
Bring the edges together and form a ball. Roll it in your palm to smooth out the lines. You do not have to smooth them all out. Once it rests and steams it will have a smooth surface.


Keep aside. Repeat the process for the remaining 15 balls of dough. Let them rest for at least 20 minutes before the next step. By the time you work your way through the 16; the dumpling you finished first should be ready for steaming.


My rice cooker has a steamer attachment. Get the steamer ready. Steam the dumplings in batches for 9 minutes.


Remove from heat. They grow a lot in the steamer too.


I used Brown and Polson custard powder to make pouring vanilla flavored custard. I made it in this measuring jar in the microwave. Where ever the recipe called for stove top I estimated an equivalent time for the microwave.


Serve hot with custard poured over the top.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.