Eggplant Chips

Whenever I find a shiny, fresh and firm eggplant I buy it to make eggplant chips. This is one of those recipes that can be included in a regular meal or can be eaten as a snack. I do not cook eggplant often. My daughter and husband love eggplant but I do not like it at all. Except for bharli wangi (stuffed mini eggplant) and this recipe I do not eat eggplant in any form. I like the taste but like most people, I have trouble with the soft cooked texture. If you or someone from your family does not eat eggplant because of texture issues then this is the recipe for them.


Today is January 24th, 2019, I have added new pictures to the old post. The next time you find an eggplant that looks like this try making these chips


You will need
1 eggplant
1 cup besan
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
salt to taste

Sift the besan into a mixing bowl. Add chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and leave aide.


Slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices.


Place a slice of eggplant in the besan. The besan will stick to the side without addition of any liquid. Now turn it over and coat the other side. Repeat for all the slices. Keep aside for 15 minutes. The juices of the eggplant will moisten the besan. Adding liquid to the besan leaves a watery mess.


Heat a pan with a few drops of olive oil. Place about 4 chips on the pan and let them brown. Turn over and let them brown on the other side.


Take the chips out of the pan and place on a paper towel to drain. Repeat for all the chips. These are best eaten hot.


Enjoy!







Comments

  1. Nice way to relish eggplants. One my cousins makes eggplant bajji. So can image how good these taste as well, a guilt free as well as this are pan fried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures Varada, I love these chips and this will surely be an apt one to serve as starter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delicious, ideal with rice and sambar as an accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eggplant chips look so good. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful idea to make eggplant chips. Sure makes them a healthy and tasty tea time snack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love eggplant prepared this way. I even skip the besan and still it tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love eggplant any way. Soft or crispy, they taste amazing. I love this version of chips. Looks so yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost feel like reaching into the monitor for that plate Varada. I've never made or had eggplant chips before and I would love to try this recipe some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures are very tempting. I am sure my older one will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too make a similar version but with more of chickpea batter. Your version looks more nice and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look so beautiful and perfectly executed. So sad that I cant stand eggplant :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.